BSN to DNP Salaries
Health care employers are recognizing the unique contributions that nurses with advanced degrees can make in the practice arena. As a result, the demand for nurses with a doctorate in nursing practice (DNP) is accelerating.
According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, in 2009, registered nurses earned an average annual salary of $66,530, or $31.99 an hour. While nurses with BSNs typically see steady pay raises, nurses can earn much more if they pursue a DNP.
According to the 2009 salary survey conducted by Advance for Nurse Practitioners magazine, NPs with doctorates earned $7,688 more than those who had a master's in nursing. Going from a BSN to a DNP would mean an even more significant increase in salary.
BSN to DNP: Salary Depends on Position
The American Association of Colleges in Nursing (AACN) said the DNP should replace the MSN as the gold standard to become a nurse practitioner (NP) by 2015. How much a nurse who goes from a BSN to a DNP will earn depends on the specific career path. Here are some careers and their salaries for DNPs, according to a 2009 salary survey of nurse practitioners conducted for Advance Magazine:
- Nursing Manager: $65,000
- Associate Professor of Nursing: $67,717
- Administration Director: $72,000
- Nursing Home Administrator: $93,250
- Nursing Director: $109.812
- Chief Nurse Anesthetist: $172,724
- Head of Nursing: $177,500
Additionally, NPs who practice in urban settings earn more than those who don't.
To earn a DNP, nurses build on traditional master's programs. They study evidence-based practice, quality improvement, and systems leadership, among other key areas.
Capella provides a flexible online learning environment designed for working adults who want to advance in their profession.
- DNP - Doctor of Nursing Practice (CCNE-accredited)
Study for your degree online with Maryville University.
- Online Bachelor of Science in Nursing to Doctor of Nursing Practice (BSN to DNP)
- Online Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP)
- Online Bachelor of Science in Nursing to Doctor of Nursing Practice (BSN to DNP) -Online Master of Science in Nursing-Pediatric (Primary Care) Nurse P
- Online Bachelor of Science in Nursing to Doctor of Nursing Practice (BSN to DNP) Family Nurse Practitioner (FNP)